Tim

Tim
Tim, hunter/gatherer

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Still in pain but on the other side of surgery

After my surgery I am still in recovery mode but happy to have my sutures removed and to be off the pain killers even though I would still be on them if not for an allergic reaction. Still in some pain and sleeping is the worst time for pain to rear its ugly head.
Learned a lot of orthopaedic terms this past week. Found out exactly what was done to my shoulder.
1. Grade 3 Chondromalacia on the humeral head - Chondroplasty: "used a 'whisker shaver' to smooth it out." Really, a shaver like one would use to remove whiskers?!;
2. Type I SLAP tear with no labral instability - Debridement of Superior Labrum. Report says that there was a small sub-labral hole and fraying which was repaired. Very lucky this was not a complete tear!;
3. Bursectomy: Arthroscope was passed into the subacromial space. There was fairly marked bursitis. Bursectomy was performed to allow visualization of the rotator cuff. Eventually visualization of the rotator cuff was possible after complete bursectomy. Didn't know a shoulder could survive without the bursa or some cushion there;
4. Standard acromioplasty - Arthroscopic Subacromial Decompression. Adequate decompression confirmed!
Don't have a photo to attach yet. There is barely any scaring on my shoulder. Will have Tim take a picture eventually to attach to this post.
All in all I am very lucky to have no rotator cuff involvement and the fact that the slap tear was minimal.
I start therapy in another week or so. I hope to be back to doing what I was doing before this whole injury occurred in a few months. That includes playing volleyball and crossfitting at the level I was at a year ago when I felt I was at my peak. Last May/June I felt great physically. I would like to get that feeling back again. Is wanting that by June too much to ask or is it doable? I will be doing everything in my power to achieve that goal.
For now I am okay with listening to my body and taking things slow. I must promise to obey Rudy's instructions upon my return to training. I will remember some words a wise man named Ben Wood gave to me to reflect on every time I wanted to push the envelope during my post surgical recovery. He said to think back and picture myself during a time when I was unable to do something because of the pain. Then I need to ask myself if I want to be back there again. Remind myself of this so I take it slow and follow Rudy's plan even if it feels like I am ready for more.
Patience and mental strength will be worked on once again in the months ahead. This seems to be a pattern for me but a good lesson in how to train smartly!

No comments:

Post a Comment